Oval Pendant Watch
Oval Pendant Watch, ca. 1625
Gilt brass, wrought iron, bell metal, and a silver or silver-plated dial
2 1/4 × 1 3/4 × 2 3/4 in. (5.72 × 4.45 × 6.99 cm)
Gift of Richard and Erna Flagg M1991.93
Photo credit: John Nienhuis
This oval pendant watch was designed to be worn around the neck or in a pouch at the waist. The invention in the fifteenth century of the coiled metal spring and the balance-wheel regulator meant that timepieces could be smaller than before and even portable. By 1580, clockmakers in most large European towns were capable of creating small oval watches such as the one seen here.
Winters, Laurie et al. A Renaissance Treasury: The Flagg Collection of European Decorative Arts and Sculpture. New York: Hudson Hills Press, 1999, p. 35, cat. 6, b/w illus.
Bobinger, Maximillian. Kunstuhrmacher in Alt-Augsburg. Augsburg: Rösler, 1969, vol. 2, p. 116.
Frauberger, Heinrich. N. R. Fränkel’s Uhrensammlung. Düsseldorf, 1913, vol. 1, p. 19 (as Augsburg, ca. 1560); vol. 2, pl. 2.
A Renaissance Treasury: The Flagg Collection of European Decorative Arts and Sculpture, Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, Alabama, April 17–June 14, 1988; The Dayton Art Institute, Dayton, Ohio, August 1–November 1, 1998; Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton, Massachusetts, December 11, 1998–March 14, 1999; Honolulu Academy of Arts, Honolulu, Hawaii, April 29–June 20, 1999; Memphis Brooks Museum of Art, Memphis, Tennessee, July 11–September 12, 1999; Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts at Stanford University, Standford, California, October 12, 1999–January 2, 2000.
This information is subject to change as the result of ongoing research.