Manufactured by Danhauser’sche Möbelfabrik (Vienna, Austria, 1804–1839)
Mahogany and pear veneer, pine core, and brass casters
30 1/4 × 62 1/4 × 31 3/4 in. (76.84 × 158.12 × 80.65 cm)
Purchased, with funds from Collectors' Corner, Avis and James K. Heller, Henry and Suzanne Herzing, René von Schleinitz Memorial Fund, by exchange, Fine Arts Society, Joanne Charlton, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur J. Laskin, Mr. and Mrs. Donald S. Wilson, The Walter and Marie Gries Memorial Fund of the Fine Arts Society, Anthony and Andrea Bryant, The Thomas Dalum Family, Elizabeth Lee Elser, John and Mary Emory, Christine and Robert Foote, David and Margarete Harvey, Doris and Mike Kuhn, Michael J. Kuhn III M.D., Gail Lione and Barry Grossman, Donna and Anthony Meyer, Jennifer and Alfonse Runquist, Robert A. and Kathleen Sullo, and William and Sharon Treul M2006.40
Photo credit: John R. Glembin
Tables during the Biedermeier period took on a wide variety of functions, ranging from tea, coffee, and dining tables to writing, working, and gaming surfaces. Large round or oval (as opposed to rectangular) tables were typically placed in the main seating area and offered a less hierarchical arrangement for sitters.
This information is subject to change as the result of ongoing research.