Corpus

Enlarge image

Workshop or Circle of Guglielmo della Porta (Italian, 1500/10–1577)
Corpus, 1650/75
Cast and gilt bronze
17 1/2 × 13 1/2 × 3 1/2 in. (44.45 × 34.29 × 8.89 cm)
Gift of Richard and Erna Flagg M1991.63
Photo credit: John Nienhuis
Currently on View

In Western Europe the serial production of small bronze crucifixes destined for both private and public devotion can be traced back to the early Middle Ages. The widespread diffusion of these inherently pious and gravely somber sculptures increased dramatically during the Counter Reformation. Their spiritual intensity, utter austerity, and direct legibility were in perfect accord with the newly revised and conservative attitudes of the Catholic Church following the Council of Trent in 1563.

Publication History
Winters, Laurie et al., A Renaissance Treasury: The Flagg Collection of European Decorative Arts and Sculpture. New York: Hudson Hills Press, 1999, p. 127-29, cat. 62, color illus. p. 128.
Exhibition History
A Renaissance Treasury: The Flagg Collection of European Decorative Arts and Sculpture, Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, Alabama, April 17–June 14, 1988; The Dayton Art Institute, Dayton, Ohio, August 1–November 1, 1998; Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton, Massachusetts, December 11, 1998–March 14, 1999; Honolulu Academy of Arts, Honolulu, Hawaii, April 29–June 20, 1999; Memphis Brooks Museum of Art, Memphis, Tennessee, July 11–September 12, 1999; Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts at Stanford University, Standford, California, October 12, 1999–January 2, 2000.


This information is subject to change as the result of ongoing research.