Lemon/Red Crown

Enlarge image

Harvey K. Littleton (American, 1922–2013)
Lemon/Red Crown, 1989
Blown and drawn glass, cut and polished
15 3/4 × 28 1/4 × 31 in. (40.01 × 71.76 × 78.74 cm)
Gift of Peter and Grace Friend, Mr. and Mrs. Wayne J. Roper, Laurence and Judy Eiseman, Dr. and Mrs. Jurgen Herrmann, Dr. and Mrs. Leander Jennings, Nita Soref, Marilyn and Orren Bradley, Mr. and Mrs. Frank J. Pelisek, Dr. and Mrs. Robert Mann, Burton C. and Charlotte Zucker, James Brachman, Mr. and Mrs. John F. Monroe, Mr. and Mrs. Donald Wiiken, Elmer L. Winter, Mr. and Mrs. Stuart Goldfarb, Mr. Ben W. Heineman, Mr. and Mrs. Norman Hyman, Janey and Douglas MacNeil, and Friends M1990.5
Photo credit Efraim Lev-er
© Harvey K. Littleton
Not Currently on View

Initially trained as a ceramist, Harvey K. Littleton became a pioneer in the Studio Glass movement. Through two landmark workshop sessions at the Toledo Museum of Art in 1962, and by establishing the first Studio Glass curriculum, at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, in 1963, Littleton helped to bring glass out of the factory and into the artist’s studio. His work ranges from functional vessels to purely sculptural forms, reflecting his continual experimentation in glass. Lemon/Red Crown, one of a series created in the 1980s, consists of twelve alternately large and small pieces of glass assembled in a circle. The sculpture’s bent shapes emphasize the fluidity of glass, while the cut and polished ends reveal a cross-section of concentric circles, made up of 18 layers of clear, cased glass with color overlays.

This information is subject to change as the result of ongoing research.