View of Danzig
Larger image unavailable
View of Danzig, 1825
Oil on canvas
39 1/4 × 32 1/2 in. (99.7 × 82.55 cm)
Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Alfred Bader, Mr. and Mrs. Leopold Blumka, The Charleston Foundation in memory of Miss Paula Uihlein, Dr. Harry J. Heeb, The Richard and Ethel Herzfeld Foundation, Mr. and Mrs. R. V. Krikorian, Mr. Irving Lore, and Mr. and Mrs. William D. Vogel, by exchange M1999.40
Photo credit: Larry Sanders
The city of Gdansk was 90 percent destroyed during World War II, first by the invading German armies and then by the Russians. By 1946 this magnificent medieval city had been reduced to smoldering rubble. Full-scale reconstruction of the districts and the historic buildings was begun in 1949, including, most importantly, the Town Hall, seen here with its glimmering clock tower. Paintings by Michael Carl Gregorovius—noted for their Biedermeier accuracy of detail—were used in the city’s restoration.
Strini, Tom. Once Piece at a Time: Gregorovius' View of Danzig. Urban Milwaukee, August 6, 2011. Accessed May 28, 2015. http://urbanmilwaukeedial.com/2011/08/06/one-piece-at-a-time-gregorovius-view-of-danzig/.
Ambrosini, Lynne, and Tamera Lenz Muente. Nineteenth-Century German Paintings: From the Milwaukee Art Museum. Cincinnati: Taft Museum of Art, 2007, p. 8, color illus. p. 8.
Christie's, May 6, 1999 [auction catalogue]. New York: Christie's, 1999, p. 52, lot 25, color illus.
Nineteenth-Century German Paintings from the Milwaukee Art Museum, Taft Museum of Art, Cincinnati, Ohio, September 7–November 4, 2007.
This information is subject to change as the result of ongoing research.